Navy Carrier deck repair 2014

 

Day-1 work-party report! by Larry B.

Dennis, Larry L., Barrie, Paul B., and myself made a good start with removal of rotten sheeting, along with purchase of plywood planking and purchase and or repairs of hardware and fasteners. Dennis had already purchased the paint.

Preliminary inspection showed that only one panel sheet had to be totally replaced and two others had 1/2 sheets requiring replacement,  We removed the one complete sheet.   As the original construction was of glue and screw, we had some difficulty in removing some of the sheeting and screws and resorted to a grinder. 

Lori prepared a lunch break for us with enough good food to feed the Canadian Army!

Day-2 work-party report!

Today's work saw the newly purchased plywood planking cut to size and glued then screwed onto the frames. We used the existing skins as templates for the new replacements.

Primer and paint were purchased and will be applied as the weather permits.

The deck will be as good as it was 20 years ago once we are done!

 

 

 

 

 This shows some of the damage - the full skin has been removed

 

 

 

 only one full skin had to be removed - it was done on day 1

 

 

 

The crew working on the second section 

 

 

 

 

Day-3 work-party report!

The work party was greatly reduced, some may say only the important ones returned.  In this case it may be true as Barrie, Dennis and Paul sanded up a storm and got the panels prepared for paint.

Day-4 work-party report!

PAINTING THE PRIMER!!   Barrie and Dennis rolled on a good coat of primer.  But now to the serious stuff, Barrie brought out his new Midwest ME109 and also did some running of his new Evolution .36

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Day-5 work-party report!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to News   Back to Carrier Report

© Pacific Aeromodellers Club
Powered by Wild Apricot. Try our all-in-one platform for easy membership management